Curious where “Beef on a Weck” got its name? It’s from none other than the popular roll topped with flaky salt and caraway seeds called a kummelweck! The sandwich was made popular in New York, but we’re certain it will be a popular dish in your household! The piéce de résistance of our recipe? A delicious TRUFF horseradish sauce!
TRUFF Horseradish Sauce:
1/2 cup TRUFF Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
4 brioche rolls
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons flaky salt
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
2 cups beef broth
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 1/2 lbs. thinly sliced roast beef
Beef on a Weck
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place TRUFF Mayonnaise and prepared horseradish in a small bowl, whisk to combine, and refrigerate horseradish sauce until ready to serve.
- Place brioche rolls on a baking sheet and brush them with an egg wash.
- Sprinkle the tops of the rolls with salt and caraway seeds.
- Place the rolls in the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes and once complete, set the rolls aside to cool.
- Heat beef broth in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary to the saucepan, and stir to combine.
- Once the broth is hot, quickly dip the roast beef slices into the liquid.
- Divide the roast beef between the kummelweck rolls and top them with horseradish sauce.