Hush puppies are a southern side dish staple and are perfect for dunking in our savory TRUFF BBQ. The sauce uses TRUFF Spicy Mayonnaise as a base and is perfectly blended with vinegar, horseradish, and mustard for a tangy punch. Enjoy these bite-sized taters for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
TRUFF BBQ Sauce:
1 cup TRUFF Spicy Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Sweet Potato Hush Puppies:
4 cups vegetable or canola oil
1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked, and mashed
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
Sweet Potato Hush Puppies
- Place TRUFF Spicy Mayonnaise, vinegar, horseradish, mustard, brown sugar, garlic powder, and onion powder in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven, high-sided skillet, or deep fryer over medium-high heat.
- Place mashed sweet potatoes, milk, egg, and brown sugar in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and stir to combine the batter.
- Once the oil is heated to 350°F, portion the hush puppy batter using a small ice cream scoop. Carefully add the batter to the oil.
- Fry the hush puppies for about 2-3 minutes, turning them occasionally until browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the hush puppies from the oil and set them aside to drain on a wire rack or paper towel.
- Top the hush puppies with chopped scallions and serve with the TRUFF BBQ sauce.